Join the discord server! If you haven’t received the link by email, please write in.
See all lectures on Squid’s YouTube channel!
The lectures will be streamed live and remain publicly available there afterwards.
Welcome to the Quantum Thermodynamics summer school, hosted by NCCR SwissMap and Squid, with the support of the Quantum Center of ETH Zurich. The school is designed to provide a solid introduction to current approaches and problems within quantum thermodynamics, and is tailored to junior researchers entering the field.
This event is planned to be carried out in person, with the possibility of joining remotely as well. We are looking forward to having our first offline event in a long while!
We will adhere to all safety regulations issued by the government in August; we will summarise them for you in the logistics page.
- Registration opens: 5th of July 2021. Register here!
- Registration deadline: 23rd of July 2021 (AoE)
- Summer school: 23rd – 27th of August 2021.
- Alvaro Alhambra, MPI QO Garching – Thermodynamics of many-body systems
- Philippe Faist, FU Berlin – Thermodynamics of quantum information processing
- Yelena Guryanova, IQOQI Vienna – Thermodynamic costs with realistic resources
- Ladina Hausmann, ETH Zurich – Black hole thermodynamics
- Matteo Lostaglio, U. Amsterdam, CWI & TU Delft – Resource theories of quantum thermodynamics
- Nelly Ng, Nanyang TU Singapore – Single-shot quantum thermodynamics
- Martí Perarnau-Llobet, U. Geneva – Quantum thermometry
- Patrick Potts, U. Basel – Thermodynamics in superconducting circuits
- Renato Renner, ETH Zurich – Axiomatic approaches to thermodynamics
- Ralph Silva, ETH Zurich – The role of complexity in quantum thermodynamics
- Armin Tavakoli, IQOQI Vienna – Quantum information in quantum thermal engines
- Lectures are in 45min blocks. Short breaks between blocks are 15min, coffee breaks last 30min.
- Lectures will be live-streamed on YouTube, and we can take audience questions remotely.
- Problem sessions are optional informal outdoor sessions where students can solve a daily problem sheet individually or in groups. All problem sheets will be available before the start of the school, and solutions will be given. Tutors and lecturers will be around to help (both in-person and online on the Discord server).
- All meals are included for in-person participants.
Sunday, 22nd of August
Arrival and getting up to speed
Problem session: preliminaries (quantum formalism, Hamiltonian evolution, partial trace)
Monday, 23rd of August
Resource-theoretical approaches to quantum thermodynamics: basics
Matteo Lostaglio: Introduction to resource theories of quantum thermodynamics (3h)
Philippe Faist: Thermodynamics of quantum information processing (2h)
Problem session: Resource theories and information processing
Tuesday, 24th of August
Resource-theoretical approaches to quantum thermodynamics: advanced
Nelly Ng: Quantum thermodynamic in the single-shot regime (2h)
Ralph Silva: The role of complexity in quantum thermodynamics (2h)
Yelena Guryanova: Thermodynamic costs with realistic resources (2h)
Wednesday, 25th of August
Axiomatic approaches to thermodynamics
Renato Renner: An axiomatic framework for thermodynamics (3h)
Ladina Hausmann: Black hole thermodynamics (2h)
Problem session: Axiomatic thermodynamics
Thursday, 26th of August
Quantum thermodynamics in practice: basics
Alvaro Alhambra: Thermodynamics of many-body systems (3h)
Armin Tavakoli: Quantum information in quantum thermal engines (2h)
Problem session: Thermalization and heat engines
Friday, 27th of August
Quantum thermodynamics in practice: advanced
Martí Perarnau-Llobet: Quantum thermometry (2h)
Patrick Potts: Thermodynamics in superconducting circuits (2h)